YES! In response to regular requests, I’ll be hosting an intimate harmonica retreat at my home in Kauai early next year for beginning and intermediate-level harmonica players.
I’m limiting this retreat to only 7 harmonica students so I can get to know you and personally help you with your biggest harmonica challenges.
DATES: This 5-day retreat starts Tuesday, February 7 and ends Saturday, February 11th, 2017.
COST: Packages start at $1,250. Students who have attended one of my previous retreats are eligible for a 15% discount. In addition, scholarships and payment plans available for students in financial need.
Only 5 out of the 7 spots are still available! My past events have generally been much larger than this and have sold out very quickly, so if you want to hold a spot please do that as soon as you can. Just email Jessica at email@example.com (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353). She will reserve you a spot for three days, with no obligation or deposit necessary.
What Is a Hawaiian Harmonica Retreat?
It’s a musical harmonica vacation that you will remember for the rest of your life … a time for resting, relaxing, basking in the beauty of Hawaii — and getting a whole lot better at playing the harmonica!
I’d love to share a bit of my life in Kauai with you and send you home with some great memories as well as a new-found confidence and enthusiasm for this awesome little instrument.
Ready to Upgrade Your Blues Mojo?
I’m going to show how to sound bluesy and “play the blues” by using some simple techniques that aren’t too hard to do. Knowing how to confidently bend your notes is one of the cornerstones to blues harmonica. If you don’t already know how to bend, I won’t let you leave Hawaii until you can hit at least one if not all of the draw bends! 🙂
What will you learn?
If you find bending challenging, you’re going to experience a vast improvement before the retreat is over.
You’re going to:
- Develop your bluesy lead-harmonica skills,
- Master some of your favorite songs,
- Develop your ability to play by ear,
- Learn how to make that harmonica sound sweet and beautiful using some easy to learn hand positions and mouth techniques,
- Learn to jam and improvise when playing with other musicians. We’ll explore blues, country blues, rock, and the folk styles typified by musicians like Bob Dylan and Neil Young.
If you’ve got specific techniques or interests you want help with, we can cover these topics in your private lessons (if we don’t cover them in group classes).
If you want me to send you home with a clear, custom-designed training program to inspire you for months to come, just let me know. It would be my pleasure.
Check Out What Some Past Retreat Students Had To Say:
“I learned everything I wanted to learn and more.”
“JP, you changed my life more than you know.”
“I loved jamming together.”
“Experience of a lifetime.”
What Are The Benefits To Limiting A Retreat To Only 7 Students?
I’ll be the only teacher for this retreat. So, although you won’t get the benefit of learning from other awesome harmonica teachers, you’ll get more one-on-one attention from me than you would in a large retreat.
My last retreat in 2015 was a huge success. There were four teachers and 23 students from four continents. But I felt a bit bummed because I wasn’t able to give people as much close-up guidance as I would have liked. (I’m not currently making any plans for another large retreat, but I may at some point).
My first harmonica retreat back in 2011 was small. It was laid back, and I enjoyed getting to know every student. So I’m going back to my roots! In this upcoming retreat, the group lessons will be custom tailored to your specific harmonica interests and everyone who attends will receive a minimum of one private lesson from me.
How Good At Harmonica Do You Have To Be To Attend This Retreat?
The retreat will be tailored to beginners and intermediate harmonica players. I recommend you complete a minimum of 50% of my Happy Harpin’ video lessons prior to coming.
What If You’re An Advanced Harmonica Player?
If you consider yourself an advanced harmonica player, you’ll probably learn a few new things but this event may not be right for you. I have had advanced students come to my past beginning/intermediate level retreats but they seemed to be the type of person that gets a lot of satisfaction out of helping other students. If you want to come, let’s talk about it. (Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wanna Join Me For My 1st Official Harmonica Housewarming Party!?
The retreat will take place in the living room of my new humble home in Kauai. I’m calling the retreat a housewarming party because my wife, dogs, and I never actually had an official celebration … so this is it!!!!!
My home is centrally located in the town of Kapaa, only 20 minutes from the airport. Many consider Kapaa the cultural center of Kauai because of its restaurants, locally owned shops and wonderful parks on the ocean.
My home is only three blocks from the beach. There’s a bike path that runs along the ocean, so if you stay in Kapaa, you could easily walk or bike to my home.
Which Airport Will You Fly Into?
You will want to fly into the Lihue International Airport and it’s generally a less than 20-minute drive from the airport (you can easily rent a car or take a taxi).
Where Will You Stay?
There are many fantastic hotels and restaurants that are walking distance from my home. You will need to make your own arrangements for food and lodging but I would be happy to direct you to some great deals.
I’m pleased to say I’ve made arrangements for a special discount at the Coral Reef Hotel, a really nice beachfront property, ranging from $139 to $189 per night. It’s a half-mile walk along the oceanfront bike path to my house. To get the special discount you will need to call the owner Chris Blair at (808) 822-4481 or email him at email@example.com and let him know you are one of my students. To check out the Coral Reef, visit www.hotelcoralreefresort.com.
My home is a 4-minute walk from the Pono Kai Resort. To check out a list of places you could stay that are close to my home see Google Maps by clicking here: https://goo.gl/43g1Ng
There are also two hostels and one campground in Kapaa that are also walking distance from my home. Prices start around $30 per night based on availability. (For the campground see: https://goo.gl/Ud8UFF . For hostels see: https://goo.gl/qoPncg )
If you like to drive, there are tons of options as far north as Princeville or Hanalei Bay or as far south as Poipoo.
How Will Your Days Be Structured?
This retreat is structured so you’ll have a nice balance between harmonica fun and time to relax and check out the gorgeous island of Kauai.
If you’re looking for an experience in which you play harmonica all day and night every day, this is probably not the right event for you.
On three of the evenings, you’ll be done with classes by 5:00 p.m., and on two mornings, you won’t start till 2:00 p.m., so you’ll definitely have time to go to the beach, take a hike, get a massage, or check out local music performances and Hawaiian entertainment.
The cool thing is that if you’re bringing a guest, you’ll have ample time to hang out with them, go out to dinner and share the experience of being in Kauai. Kauai’s massive white-sand beaches, canyons, waterfalls, and lush tropical mountains will blow your mind.
If you’re coming alone and you would prefer to play harmonica “all day, every day”, just let me know in advance and I will give you a rigorous practice routine you can stick to during your free time.
What Happens When You Sign Up?
Once you have registered, our retreat coordinator, Jessica, will give you speedy email responses to any logistical questions you might have. You can email her anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353).
You will have a full month to request a 100% refund for any reason (no questions asked). If you choose to cancel after this one-month period, we will also refund you in full if we can find another student to take your spot. In addition, if you have a last-minute emergency, you can apply your tuition to a future harmonica retreat.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
As with all of Harmonica.com’s offerings, you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If, on the final day of the event, you do not feel this retreat has prepared you to take your harmonica playing to the next level (and given you wonderful memories that will last a lifetime), you can request a refund and get your money back (this has never happened but I want you to have the reassurance that you’re going to have an awesome experience). You will need to attend a minimum of 80% of your classes to exercise this option.
Wanna Play On Stage With Me?
On the final evening of the retreat, we’re all going to perform together live, as one big harmonica band, after I treat you to dinner at one of my favorite, fancy ocean-view restaurants.
Of course, if you don’t want to perform, you don’t have to. You can also request a minor role in the performance… no pressure… it’s totally optional.
When Is This 5-Day Harmonica Retreat?
RETREAT BEGINS: Tuesday February 7, 2017 at 10:30 a.m.
RETREAT ENDS: Saturday February 11th, 2017 at 9:00 p.m.
What Does It Cost? And What Are the Options?
(If you’ve attended a previous harmonica retreat with me, you’re eligible for a special 15% discount. Also, scholarships and payment plans are available for students in financial need. To apply, email me at email@example.com.)
This option includes:
- THREE GROUP LESSONS EVERY DAY: You’ll receive three 50-minute group sessions every day with me and the other students in the retreat. Some of the classes may be held at a gorgeous spot near the beach that is only 3 blocks walking distance from my house (weather permitting).
- ONE 30-MINUTE PRIVATE LESSON: Before the retreat formally begins, you’ll get one 30-minute private lesson with me. In this lesson, you’ll select a song or blues solo that you’re stoked to learn and I will also support you with any techniques you want help with.
- TWO SEMI-PRIVATE LESSONS: In addition to your private lesson, you’ll also receive two 40-minute semi-private lessons with me. Your semi-private lesson will contain only 1 or 2 other students. This way, you’ll get focused attention on whatever you need the most help with.
- A PRIVATE IN-HOUSE CONCERT WITH A LOCAL HAWAIIAN-STYLE PERFORMER: On the fourth evening of the event (Thursday), you’ll be invited to a private in-house performance with one of Kauai’s best and brightest musicians. If you want, you can prepare a song ahead of time and get up on stage and perform (optional).
- GRADUATION DINNER: On the final evening I’ll treat you to a fancy dinner at one of my favorite oceanside restaurants. And then, after dinner, you’ll perform together with me and the other harmonica students as part of our final celebration. (Performing on stage is optional but I’m optimistic you’ll crush it!)
- AND FOR GOOD MEASURE: You’ll get both of my original music CDs, personally autographed to you.
(If you’ve previously attended one of my retreats, you can get a
15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
The Silver Package includes everything in Bronze, plus:
- Instead of one 30-minute private lesson and two semi-private lessons (as in Bronze), you’ll be upgraded to three 40-minute, private one-on-one lessons with me.
- Your private lessons will occur every other day.
(If you have previously attended one of my retreats, you can get a
15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
Gold Package With Mojo Coaching!
This option includes everything the retreat has to offer in the Bronze and Silver Packages, plus:
- A “JP-CUSTOMIZED” HIGH-END HARMONICA: As part of the Gold Option, you’ll get a high-end harmonica (a Hohner Crossover or equivalent) in the key of your choice, which I will personally customize with reed gapping. If you’re having trouble with your bends, you’ll be amazed how this harmonica will help you play the blues like butter. Don’t worry, I won’t let you leave Hawaii until you can bend like a champ. 🙂
- YOU’LL ALSO GET GOLD-LEVEL MOJO COACHING: What’s that?
- To help prepare you for the retreat you’ll get two 50-minute Skype lessons.
- In addition, you’ll get two personalized training videos: After each Skype lesson, I will make you a personalized instructional video (approximately 50 minutes in length). The video will include play-along exercises that you’ll use as part of a regular practice routine. This training video will make it fun for you to practice and it will put you on the fast track to meeting your harmonica goals (and getting the most out of your time with me in Hawaii).
(If you have previously attended one of my retreats, you can get a
15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
Need Time To Think About This Big Adventure?
Simply email Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353). She will hold you a spot for three days with no deposit or obligation necessary.
If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to call Jessica at any time.
P.S. For many years, I worked as a marriage counselor and a life coach so it would be my pleasure to help you cultivate your enthusiasm for doing what you love.
P.P.S. If you can’t make it to beautiful Hawaii this year, I’m sure you’ll love my Harmonica Home Study Course. Click here to check out my “World’s Favorite Harmonica Home Study Course”
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (Click Here)
When is it?
- This 5-day retreat starts Tuesday, February 7 and ends Saturday, February 11th, 2017
How good at harmonica do you need to be?
- The retreat will be tailored to beginners and intermediate harmonica players.
- You’re going to learn a lot of blues, single notes, bending, hand techniques, and I will help you select a song that you’re stoked to learn.
- I recommend you complete a minimum of 50% of my Happy Harpin’ video lessons prior to coming but if you don’t, no worries (I’ve actually had one student who never played before coming to the retreat and he did awesomely. I didn’t slow down the classes for him but I always gave him something he could do to keep up).
How much does it cost?
- Options start at just $1,250. Scholarships and a special discount are also available — CLICK HERE to see details and options for this event.
Where do classes take place?
- In the cozy living room of my humble new home in Kapaa, HI (on Kauai)
- My home is a 4-minute walk from the Pono Kai Resort. For a Google map view from airport to my house, see: https://goo.gl/dqY7Vd
- After you register, I will give you exact directions.
Which airport should you fly into?
- The Lihue International Airport (LIH) in Kauai.
Where will you stay?
- You will need to make your own arrangements for accommodations. If you want to stay in close proximity of my home, I recommend you stay in Kapaa (but you can stay practically anywhere on the island if you’re willing to drive).
- To go to the section of my website that details a variety of low-priced and high-priced options CLICK HERE.
Are meals provided?
- Meals are not provided but there are plenty of options within just walking distance from my house.
- To see a list of restaurants on Google Maps, see: https://goo.gl/HkBl6M
What about transportation from the Lihue Airport?
- My home in Kapaa is only 8 miles from the airport.
- You can rent a car, take a taxi or use the bus.
- I recommend you rent a car if you can afford it and want to drive all over the island.
- For a Google map view from the airport to 4 blocks from my house see: https://goo.gl/dqY7Vd
- For a list of taxi options on Google, you can see this link: https://goo.gl/rRv8pL
What harmonicas do I need?
- For this retreat, you will only need a total of four harmonicas (but feel free to bring all your harmonicas if you want).
- Required – Harmonicas in the keys of A, C and D Major: You will need one 10-hole diatonic harmonica in each of the following major keys: A, C, and D (see below for clarity).
- Required – A harmonic minor harmonica: You will also need a “harmonic minor” harmonica in the key of A (I recommend the Lee Oskar brand and you can CLICK HERE to get one on Amazon).
- Not necessary – chromatic harmonica: I don’t play the chromatic harmonica so we won’t be using it.
- You can get my favorite models of harmonicas at my harmonica.com store or you can get them on Amazon if you want to save a buck (Sorry, I’m too small to try to compete with Amazon). Here are the two models of harmonicas I recommend:
How do private lessons work?
- Easy. You call the shots. You can focus the lesson on whatever you want to learn.
- I’ll show you how you can learn any techniques you’re having difficulties with. (For example, single notes, bending, hand techniques, etc).
- If you want to work on a song you love, great!
What should you bring?
- In addition to your normal travel gear, I suggest you bring the following:
- IMPORTANT: A digital recorder of any kind (your smart phone is fine). You are encouraged to record group lessons and private lesson(s) if you want,
- Mosquito repellent,
- Sun block,
- Lightweight rain jacket – We suggest that you pack a rain jacket, as rain falls almost every day in Hawaii. But the sun shines every day too! It’s common for the sun to shine brightly 15 minutes after it rains!
- Thong sandals – A lot of people in Hawaii like to wear “slippers” as everyday footwear (not just for the beach). You might want to bring a pair.
What is the refund policy?
- After paying your tuition, you will have a full month to request a 100% refund for any reason. If you choose to cancel after this one-month period, we will also refund you in full if we can find another student to take your spot. In addition, if you have a last-minute emergency, you can apply your tuition to a future harmonica retreat.
Are there scholarships or payment plan available?
- Yes to both.CLICK HERE for details on my web page.
Are discounts available?
- As a way of saying thank you to students who have attended a prior retreat with me they will receive a 15% discount.
Who can I talk to about any special needs or requests?
- Jessica will give you speedy email responses to any logistical questions you might have (or she will forward your message to me). You can email her anytime at email@example.com (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353).