YES! Because the other retreats sold out so fast, I’ll be hosting an additional 5-day harmonica retreat in my hometown of Kauai, Hawaii (for beginning and intermediate-level harmonica players).
I’m limiting this retreat to only 7 harmonica students so I can get to know you and personally help you with your biggest harmonica dreams and challenges.
2018 Winter: February 6 – February 10 (SOLD OUT)
2018 Winter: February 20 – February 24 (SOLD OUT)
If you want to be put on the waitlist for a retreat which is sold out, email Jessica at email@example.com
In addition, because my retreats tend to sell out fast, email Jessica now and she will give you first dibs on upcoming dates that have not yet been formally announced.
COST: Packages start at $1,250. click here for options Students who have attended one of my previous retreats are eligible for a 15% discount. In addition, scholarships and payment plans available for students in financial need.
What Is a Harmonica Retreat In Hawaii?
It’s a musical harmonica vacation that you will remember for the rest of your life … a time for resting, relaxing, basking in the beauty of Hawaii — and getting a whole lot better at playing the harmonica with a bluesy, soulful sound!
I’d love to share a bit of my life in Kauai with you and send you home with some great memories as well as a new-found confidence and enthusiasm for this awesome little instrument.
Where is the Retreat?
Right on the ocean at the Hotel Coral Reef on the island of Kauai! This hotel is a super sweet, cozy, locally owned high-end venue (only several blocks from my home).
I’m pleased to say I’ve made arrangements for you to get a special discount at the Coral Reef Hotel (prices range from $129 to $189 per night depending on availability).
You’ll be enjoying ocean breezes and a gorgeous view for your entire stay. And it’s right on the epic Kapaa bike path, in the best part of town with a short walk to many awesome restaurants and entertainment.
To get the special discount you will need to call the owner Chris Blair at (808) 822-4481 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let him know you are one of my students and if you can afford an ocean-view room… Go for it!. To check out the Coral Reef, visit www.hotelcoralreefresort.com.
There are also two hostels and one campground in Kapaa that are also walking distance from the Hotel Coral Reef. Prices start around $30 per night based on availability. (For the campground see: https://goo.gl/Ud8UFF . For hostels see: https://goo.gl/qoPncg )
If you like to drive, there are tons of options! See “Are There Other Options for Accommodations?” in the FAQ section below.
Ready to Upgrade Your Blues Mojo?
I’m going to show how to sound bluesy and “play the blues” by using some simple techniques that aren’t too hard to do. Knowing how to confidently bend your notes is one of the cornerstones to blues harmonica. If you don’t already know how to bend, I won’t let you leave Hawaii until you can hit at least one if not all of the draw bends! 🙂
What will you learn?
If you find bending challenging, you’re going to experience a vast improvement before the retreat is over.
You’re going to:
- Develop your bluesy lead-harmonica skills,
- Master some of your favorite songs,
- Develop your ability to play by ear,
- Learn how to make that harmonica sound sweet and beautiful using some easy to learn hand positions and mouth techniques,
- Learn to jam and improvise when playing with other musicians. We’ll explore blues, country blues, rock, and the folk styles typified by musicians like Bob Dylan and Neil Young.
If you’ve got specific techniques or interests you want help with, we can cover these topics in your private lessons (if we don’t cover them in group classes).
If you want me to send you home with a clear, custom-designed training program to inspire you for months to come, just let me know. It would be my pleasure.
Here’s What Other Students Said:
"I learned everything I wanted to learn and more." "JP, you changed my life more than you know." "Jamming live together was a thrill." "Experience of a lifetime."
What Are The Benefits To Limiting A Retreat To Only 7 Students?
I’ll be the only teacher for this retreat. So, although you won’t get the benefit of learning from other awesome harmonica teachers, you’ll get more one-on-one attention from me than you would in a large retreat.
My last large retreat in 2015 was a huge success. There were four teachers and 23 students from four continents. But I felt a bit bummed because I wasn’t able to give people as much close-up guidance as I would have liked. (I’m not currently making any plans for another large retreat, but I may at some point).
My first harmonica retreat back in 2011 was small. It was laid back, and I enjoyed getting to know every student. So I’m going back to my roots! In this upcoming retreat, the group lessons will be custom tailored to your specific harmonica interests and everyone who attends will receive a minimum of one private lesson from me.
How Good At Harmonica Do You Have To Be To Attend This Retreat?
The retreat will be tailored to beginners and intermediate harmonica players. I recommend you complete a minimum of 50% of my Happy Harpin’ video lessons prior to coming.
What If You’re An Advanced Harmonica Player?
If you consider yourself an advanced harmonica player, you’ll probably learn a few new things but this event may not be right for you. If you’re the type of person that likes to teach and gets a lot of satisfaction out of helping beginners and you want to come, let’s talk about it. (Email me at email@example.com)
How Will Your Days Be Structured?
This retreat is structured so you’ll have a nice balance between harmonica fun and time to relax and check out the gorgeous island of Kauai.
If you’re looking for an experience in which you play harmonica all day and night every day, this is probably not the right event for you.
On three of the evenings, you’ll be done with classes by 5:00 p.m., and on two mornings, you won’t start till 2:00 p.m., so you’ll definitely have time to go to the beach, take a hike, get a massage, or check out local music performances and Hawaiian entertainment.
The cool thing is that if you’re bringing a guest, you’ll have ample time to hang out with them, go out to dinner and share the experience of being in Kauai. Kauai’s massive white-sand beaches, canyons, waterfalls, and lush tropical mountains will blow your mind.
If you’re coming alone and you would prefer to play harmonica “all day, every day”, just let me know in advance and I will give you a rigorous practice routine you can stick to during your free time.
What Happens When You Sign Up?
Once you have registered, our retreat coordinator, Jessica, will be emailing you to “dial in” the details. You can email her anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353).
I’ll be offering supplementary breath and meditation techniques which will help you relax, benefit your health, and massively improve your harmonica chops.
- In all cases, you have 30 days from the time of purchase to receive a 100% refund (no questions asked).
- For the 2018 winter retreat, you can cancel 90 days prior to the event and you will still get a 100% refund.
- If you choose to cancel after the terms indicated above, you will only get a refund if we can find another student to take your spot. We can’t promise, but there’s a reasonably good chance we will find another student to take your spot in which case you will get a full refund. (This policy is due to the small size of these retreats).
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
As with all of Harmonica.com’s offerings, you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If, on the final day of the event, you do not feel this retreat has prepared you to take your harmonica playing to the next level (and given you wonderful memories that will last a lifetime), you can request a refund and get your money back (this has never happened but I want you to have the reassurance that you’re going to have an awesome experience). You will need to attend a minimum of 80% of your classes to exercise this option.
Wanna Play On Stage With Me?
On the final evening of the retreat, we’re all going to perform together live, as one big harmonica band at a beginner friendly restaurant. After we blow the roof off the house together, we’ll celebrate and I’ll treat you to dinner at this super cool ocean-view restaurant.
Of course, if you don’t want to perform, you don’t have to. You can also request a minor role in the performance… no pressure… it’s totally optional. But playing together with a big harmonica band is a fun and low-pressure way to break the ice and get up on stage (it’s your choice and you can decide when you get here).
(If you’ve attended a previous harmonica retreat with me, you’re eligible for a special 15% discount. Also, scholarships and payment plans are available for students in financial need. To apply, email Jessica at email@example.com.)
This option includes:
- THREE GROUP LESSONS EVERY DAY: You’ll receive three 50-minute group sessions every day with me and the other students in the retreat.
- ONE 30-MINUTE PRIVATE LESSON: Before the retreat formally begins, you’ll get one 30-minute private lesson with me. In this lesson, you’ll select a song or blues solo that you’re stoked to learn and I will also support you with any techniques you want help with.
- TWO SEMI-PRIVATE LESSONS: In addition to your private lesson, you’ll also receive two 40-minute semi-private lessons with me. Your semi-private lesson will contain only 1 or 2 other students. This way, you’ll get focused attention on whatever you need the most help with.
- A PRIVATE IN-HOUSE CONCERT WITH A LOCAL HAWAIIAN-STYLE PERFORMER: On the fourth evening of the event (Thursday), you’ll be invited to a private in-house performance with one of Kauai’s best and brightest musicians. If you want, you can prepare a song ahead of time and get up on stage and perform (optional).
- GRADUATION DINNER: On the final evening I’ll treat you to a fancy dinner at one of my favorite oceanside restaurants. And then, after dinner, you’ll perform together with me and the other harmonica students as part of our final celebration. (Performing on stage is optional but I’m optimistic you’ll crush it!)
- AND FOR GOOD MEASURE: You’ll get both of my original music CDs, personally autographed to you.
(If you’ve previously attended one of my retreats, you can get a
15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
(If you would prefer a payment plan
email Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Silver Package includes everything in Bronze, plus:
- Instead of one 30-minute private lesson and two semi-private lessons (as in Bronze), you’ll be upgraded to three 40-minute, private one-on-one lessons with me.
- Your private lessons will occur every other day.
(If you have previously attended one of my retreats, you can get a
15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
(If you would prefer a payment plan
email Jessica at email@example.com
Gold Package With Mojo Coaching!
This option includes everything the retreat has to offer in the Bronze and Silver Packages, plus:
- A “JP-CUSTOMIZED” HIGH-END HARMONICA: As part of the Gold Option, you’ll get a high-end harmonica (a Hohner Crossover or equivalent) in the key of your choice, which I will personally customize with reed gapping. If you’re having trouble with your bends, you’ll be amazed how this harmonica will help you play the blues like butter. Don’t worry, I won’t let you leave Hawaii until you can bend like a champ. 🙂
- YOU’LL ALSO GET GOLD-LEVEL MOJO COACHING: What’s that?
- To help prepare you for the retreat you’ll get two 50-minute Skype lessons.
- In addition, you’ll get a personalized 75-minute training video.
- After the first Skype lesson, I will make a personalized play-along training video.
- As you jam along with me on the video, you will “work out” on your particular weaknesses until they become a strength.
- For many students, feeling motivated to practice is often an issue. Your personalized video will provide you with a fun daily practice routine because all you’ll need to do is play the video and jam along with me.
- This training video will put you on the fast track for getting the most out of your time with me in Hawaii.
(If you have previously attended one of my retreats,
you can get a 15% discount by CLICKING HERE).
(If you would prefer a payment plan
email Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need Time To Think About This Big Adventure?
If you want to hold you a spot for three days with no deposit or obligation necessary simply email Jessica at email@example.com (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353).
If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to call Jessica at any time.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (Click Here)
How good at harmonica do you need to be?
- The retreat will be tailored to beginners and intermediate harmonica players.
- You’re going to learn a lot of blues, single notes, bending, hand techniques, and I will help you select a song that you’re stoked to learn.
- I recommend you complete a minimum of 50% of my Happy Harpin’ video lessons prior to coming but if you don’t, no worries (I’ve actually had one student who never played before coming to the retreat and he did awesomely. I didn’t slow down the classes for him but I always gave him something he could do to keep up).
How do private lessons work?
- Easy. You call the shots. You can focus the lesson on whatever you want to learn.
- I’ll show you how you can learn any techniques you’re having difficulties with. (For example, single notes, bending, hand techniques, etc).
- If you want to work on a song you love, great!
- Your time slot will be assigned when you arrive.
Where do classes take place?
- 3o yards from the ocean at the Hotel Coral Reef on the gorgeous island of Kauai.
Where will you stay?
- I recommend you stay is the Hotel Coral Reef which is where your lessons will take place.
- It’s right on the bike path and walking distance to awesome restaurants and entertainment.
- Gorgeous view, ocean breezes…heaven.
- It’s small, high-end, locally owned, and it sells out quick so don’t hesitate in making your reservation (if you can afford an ocean-view room… Go for it!).
- In addition, I made arrangements for you to get a special discount.
- Contact the owner, Chris, ASAP before he sells out (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (808) 822-4481).
- For more info see www.hotelcoralreefresort.com.
OTHER OPTIONS FOR ACCOMMODATIONS
- To check out a list of places you could stay that are close to the Hotel Coral Reef see Google Maps by clicking here: https://goo.gl/43g1Ng
- For a broad list of options, you can search Kauai County, Hawaii on airbnb.com or vrbo.com
If you like to drive, there are tons of options!!!
- Hale Kai Kalani/Twin Hearts Vacation Rentals – Bruce Fehring: 808-346-0356 |email@example.com | www.vacation-rental-kauai.com/halekaikalani.htm |www.vacation-rental-kauai.com/twinhearts.htm. 4230 Wailapa Road, Kilauea, HI
- Green Acres Cottages – Tony & Diane Tran: 866-484-6347 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.greenacrescottages.com/5-0421-C Kuhio Highway, Kilauea, HI 96754 Note: Gazebo Cottage=$68.50/night ($75 less 10% discount for weekly rate.)
- Retreat Center at Hale Luana – Hilary Ferris: 808-346-3001 | email@example.com |www.kauairetreatcenter.com/Kauai_Retreat_Center/Welcome.html. 4670 Kapuna Rd. Kilauea, HI 96754
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Vilas – 808-827-8700 | Central Reservations: 866-837-4254 | http://www.westinprinceville.com/ 3838 Wyllie Road, Princeville, HI 96722 United States (Another note from the travel agent mentioned above: Should be about $1350 less than the St. Regis. It’s a timeshare, with a small kitchen in the room. No beach.)
- Hanalei Bay Resort – 808-826-6522 CentralReservations@GrandPacificResorts.com | www.hanaleibayresort.com. 5380 Honoiki Road, Princeville, Kauai, HI 96722
- St Regis Princeville Resort – 808-826-9644 | Central Reservations: 866.716.8140 | www.stregisprinceville.com/contact-us/. 5520 Ka Haku Road, Princeville, Kaua’i, HI 96722
- Kauai Sands Hotel – 866-970-4169 | firstname.lastname@example.org|www.kauaisandshotel.com/. 420 Papaloa Road, Kapaa, HI 96746 (14.4 miles south of our retreat venue, 6.3 miles north of the Lihue airport.)(Note from a past harmonica student guest: “Great low rate, but I highly recommend upgrading to get closer to the water. The rooms are better and more updated. The rate while I was there was $75 a night – I paid $20 more and was in room 101 I believe. Great room – ask for it – end unit and close to the beach. Coffee in the lobby always and people at the desk more than helpful. Computers available if you want to pay up for a modest fee via swiping your credit card. Within walking distance to grocery store and Starbucks.”)
- Aston Islander – 877-997-6667 | http://www.astonislander.com |440 Aleka Place Kapaa, HI 96746
- So Cal Hot Properties: – 949-229-3085 | www.socalhotproperties.com. 4646 Wailapa Rd. (1.1 miles from our retreat venue) | House + attached in-law suite with private entrance
- ECONOMY OPTIONS: There are also two hostels and one campground in Kapaa that are also walking distance from my the Hotel Coral Reef. Prices start around $30 per night based on availability. (For the campground see: https://goo.gl/Ud8UFF . For hostels see: https://goo.gl/qoPncg ).
Are meals provided?
- Meals are not provided but there are plenty of options within just walking distance from my house.
- To see a list of restaurants on Google Maps, see: https://goo.gl/HkBl6M
Which airport should you fly into?
- The Lihue International Airport (LIH) in Kauai.
- I recommend you book your flights as soon as possible due to Hawaii’s popularity as a travel destination.
- I recommend you rent a car if possible but you can also take a taxi or bus.
- For a list of taxi options on Google, you can see this link: https://goo.gl/rRv8pL
What is the refund policy?
- After paying your tuition, you will have a full month to request a 100% refund for any reason. If you choose to cancel after this one-month period, we will also refund you in full if we can find another student to take your spot. In addition, if you have a last-minute emergency, you can apply your tuition to a future harmonica retreat.
Are there scholarships, discounts or payment plan available?
- Yes. If you’ve attended a previous harmonica retreat with me, you’re eligible for a special 15% discount. Also, scholarships and payment plans are available for students in financial need. To apply, email Jessica at email@example.com.
Which harmonics (and other stuff) should you bring?
For this retreat, only four harmonicas are REQUIRED. You can get them from us or save a buck and get them from Amazon. (Sorry, Amazon is impossible for us to compete with.)
- One “A Harmonic Minor” Harmonica – I recommend Lee Oscar (CLICK HERE to get one on Amazon).
- Three Major Harmonicas – You’ll need the keys of A, C and D. I recommend the Hohner Special 20 or the Hohner Crossover.
- Not necessary – chromatic harmonica: I don’t play the chromatic harmonica, so we won’t be using it.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU BRING?
- IMPORTANT: A digital recorder of any kind (your smartphone is fine). You are encouraged to record group lessons and private lesson(s) if you want.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Sun block.
- Bandages and antibiotic cream: If you get a cut, staph infections are very common in Hawaii due to humidity.
- Clothing – a few suggestions:
- Lightweight rain jacket
- Thong sandals – a lot of people in Hawaii like to wear “slippers”
- A sun hat
- A bathing suit if you choose to swim.
Who can you talk to about any special needs or requests?
- Jessica will give you speedy email responses to any logistical questions you might have (or she will forward your message to me). You can email her anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org (or call her cell phone at 808-631-9353).
P.S. For many years, I worked as a marriage counselor and a life coach so it would be my pleasure to help you cultivate your enthusiasm for doing what you love.
P.P.S. If you can’t make it to beautiful Hawaii this year, I’m sure you’ll love my Harmonica Home Study Course. Click here to check out my “World’s Favorite Harmonica Home Study Course”